Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Long and Arduous Journey

I'm starting a journey. Not to some exotic location or to a cool museum or anything, but a journey to a healthier me. I call it a journey because I know it is not a destination, but rather a long, and often difficult trip. There are lots of hills and valleys, twists and turns in the road ahead, and I may often be the sole traveler (at least within view) on that road. It is a journey I have to take, though. My kids are growing up. My health has taken a series of hits lately (nothing serious, but still scary) and I'm not getting any younger.

I need to lose some weight. For those that don't know me or haven't seen me in a while, I have become the highest category of Gabriel Iglesias's Fatness Scale...also known as "DAAAYUMMMM!!" :) It's time I got back in shape a bit.

I've done this before, but this time I'm doing something different. I'm creating this blog to help chronicle my struggles and my victories. I have often found that a lot of problems could be solved by just talking through things and the time I was most successful along the journey was when I was meeting regularly with a Diet Counselor. She mainly just provided a listening ear, occasional support and tips, and a comfortable place to sit and talk.

Hopefully, by making this small change to my weight loss efforts, I can see the changes I'm seeking.

It takes a TON of courage for me to do this. I tend to be someone who plays things "close to the vest". I am uncomfortable with sharing personal details. Perhaps, by forcing myself to open up a bit and allowing others a small glimpse into this part of my life, I can help myself (and maybe even someone else) to succeed where I have failed in the past.

I am sensitive, though I often mask that with humor. I notice every small stare from children in the store, park, mall, church, school or elsewhere. I like to joke to break the tension, but deep down, there's a part of me that hurts. So, if you would like to join me in this journey, please do so. You are welcome along any time.

Here are my stats (as best I know them right now...see a later post for more details): I am 6'7" (203 cm) tall. I weigh well over 450 lbs. I have Diabetes, Hypertension, High Cholesterol and peripheral Neuropathy. I have suffered a partial toe amputation, I have had Charcot foot twice and Cellulitis in my legs more times than I wish to count. But, ultimately my heart is as big as my body. I love all people and want to be loved by all.

Thanks for listening.

No comments: