Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Journey--Step 1

Ok. So the first step in this journey is a slightly embarrassing/humiliating one. I went to the Dr the other day and he wants me to do a stress test (based on my family history of heart disease). In order to do so I must know my exact weight. That's where the humiliation comes in. I have apparently let myself grow beyond the bounds of the largest home scale I can find. So they nurses told me I needed to go to a meat packing plant, a post office, or shipping store or somewhere with a large commercial scale (a la Biggest Loser weigh-in scale). I feel stupid walking into a post office and giving them the scenario. It boggles my mind that the hospital doesn't have one, but they claim there's only goes to the point of most of the top-end personal-use scales (around 430-450 lbs).
UGH! Now I need to find a way to suck it up and get weighed. The humiliation will be short-lived and at least I'll never have to enter that building again. If anyone has a lead on a good place to go for this scale, let me know.
BTW, I appreciate all the support I'm getting for this. But if you feel like judging me for my life's decisions that have gotten me to this point, keep it to yourself, please. I don't need people calling me fat, obese, HUGE, or anything else. I know where I am and while I"m not proud of it, I am working to change it. I may not ever be able to run a triathlon or ride a bike (my apologies to all my cyclist and runner friends and relatives). I've made my choices in life and now must live with the consequences. Nothing will be served by your telling me what I should or shouldn't have done differently. Let me move on from here. If you don't want to be FB friends with me, that's your choice. I am who I am, and I am not defined by the external appearance. Those who truly know me, know that I am a kind, loving, sensitive guy who is just doing his best to get through life.
Thanks for listening.

3 comments:

Jed said...

I am in and will help you however I can my dear friend

James said...

Adam .... just a thought .... there is a book titled "Intuitive Eating" that you may find useful. It is written by two dieticians who have counseled scores of people trying to loose weight. They focus on how to develop techniques on listening to your body's need for food and potential pitfalls. It is an easy read. If you have a Kindle you can download a sample version to give you a taste of what the book is like. I have not checked the Spanish Fork Library, but I think they may just have it. I have not read the entire book yet. I have too many other things at the present time demanding my attention, but I do plan to read it all the way through. I have liked what I have read so far, and that says a lot, because I don't get along very well with dieticians. In my profession I find them too conservative for my more liberal business styles.

Ticklemedana said...

intuitive eating is a fabulous book. I love it. And I really like a lot of what it says. I found my copy at DI for 75 cents.